A Different Gospel
Brady Boyd | August 15, 2021
Is it possible to believe something that’s not true?
Are people teaching incorrect doctrine?
"George Smith occupied a chair of applied electronics at an important government institution, was attached to his position by the strongest of ties, and his death came as a real shock."
Galatians 1:6-9 NIV
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!
- Angels from heaven can be convincing!
- 78 times in the Four Gospels – Jesus said, “I tell you the truth …” or “Verily, I say unto you ...
- Moralistic Therapeutic Deism – Using God to get what we want and to make us happy!
- Moralistic – Be good.
- Therapeutic – Feel good.
- Deism – God’s distant.
What did Paul believe? Is this the Gospel what we should believe?
- Salvation is by grace, alone.
- Jesus did something for us that we could never do for ourselves.
Acts 4:12 NIV
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
What’s the evidence we’re believing sound doctrine?
- We have our eyes fixed on Jesus.
- We love our neighbors.
- We’re helping others follow Jesus.
We’ll be judged for what we allow and what we believe.
Why is the Nicene Creed still important?
- The Nicene Creed unifies us.
- The Nicene Creed centers us.