How do I … Live Generously
Brady Boyd | June 20, 2021
Proverbs 11:24-25 NIV
24 “One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. 25 A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”
- We must learn to be generous.
- Generous people are compassionate.
Proverbs 11:25b NIV
25 “He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”
Proverbs 22:9 NIV
9 “A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.”
- We’ll never be generous to people until we learn to love people.
- Generous people give more than enough.
John 12:3-8 NIV
3 “Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. 4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. 7 "Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "[It was intended] that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."
- Generous people see a need and want to give more than enough to meet the need.
- Generous people always add one more spoonful. I want to be a “Another Spoonful” person.
- Generous people are rewarded in heaven.
1 Timothy 6: 17-19 NIV
17 “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.”
- Generous people have discovered the joy of sending treasure ahead to heaven.
- Generous people are rewarded right now.
Proverbs 11:24 NIV
24 “One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
- Psalm 46 – Be still and know that I’m God…
- “To release your grasp, to unclench your fist.
- Generosity is an invitation to release our grip on worthless things and take hold of a life that’s truly life.