Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be your name
Praying with Jesus | April 11, 2021
Matthew 6:5-13 NIV
5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 "This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
- Jesus refers to prayer 42 times and the gospels record Him personally praying 28 times.
Luke 11:1 NIV
1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray”
Jesus points out two things before telling us how to pray.
- Be sincere.
- “who love to be seen by men.”
- Be concise.
- “Do not keep on babbling”
- Our Father in heaven.
Genesis 24:42 NIV
42 “O Lord, God of my master Abraham.”
2 Chronicles 14:11 NIV
11 “O Lord our God.”
- When Jesus prayed, he only prayed to the Father.
Matthew 6:6 NIV
6 “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father …”
Matthew 26:39 NIV
39 “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
- Hallowed be your name.
- Hallowed – Greek – to be holy, to be set apart for a special purpose, to be sacred.
- When Jewish scholars copied the Scriptures, they selected a new pen with which to write God’s name so they would not dishonor God by writing His name with a pen that had been used to write other words. After using the new pen to write God’s name, they broke it so it could never be used again.
- We come into His presence knowing He’s the ruler of the Universe, yet He welcomes us as sons and daughters.
- Our Father in heaven,Hallowed be YourYour kingdom come.Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.Give us this day our daily bread.And forgive us our debts,as we forgive our debtors.And do not lead us into temptation but deliver us from the evil one.For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.