The False Gospel of Jesus
Daniel Grothe | August 22, 2021
3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.
- The “Judaizers” stormed in proclaiming a “Jesus + _____” gospel.
- They wanted everyone to experience Jesus in the same way they had.
- They wanted all worship of Jesus to sanction their social projects and identity markers.
- Ex…I have a Friend—Built small and bookish—Dad a hoss, jock—“Be a man…”—Rejected Jesus
- If we are not careful, we can become the bottleneck that blocks people from entering the Kingdom.
- Any gospel that is a “Jesus + ______” gospel is a false gospel.
Galatians 1: 13-17
13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. 17 I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus.
- In his former life, Paul was protecting Jerusalem while neglecting the salvation of the world.
- Ex…My childhood—felt the responsibility to guard the CENTER
- Ex…Grandpa Dan—BUD LIGHT in the garage fridge—Prayed for his salvation b/c I thought he’d purchased a one-way ticket to hell!
16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
- Ex…not long ago, sitting with a pregnant woman.
Galatians 1: 22-24
22 I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23 They only heard the report: “The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.” 24 And they praised God because of me.