Brady Boyd | September 12, 2021
Most people cannot remember a more divided America than the one we live in today. The vitriol has escalated to dangerous levels and our culture is on the verge of a meltdown not seen in decades. These perilous times require us to humble ourselves, repent and change course. How did we get here? How can we heal?
Galatians 3:26-29 NIV
26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
- Jesus is the great equalizer.
- All societal power structures are leveled in His church.
- Jew/Gentile – Religious differences
- Slave/Free – Economic differences
- Male/Female – Gender differences
- We’re all brothers and sisters.
- The rich aren’t preferred, and the poor aren’t ignored.
- The church is the one place where we can be both equal and unique.
- Unity is proof the Holy Spirit is working in a group of people.
- We’re either looking for a fight or we’re looking for the Holy Spirit, but we can’t have both.
- How do we contend for unity?
- Unity can happen among people who disagree.
- Unity means we value the relationship more than winning an argument.
- When we’re right, we should be gracious.
- Gloating is not a fruit of the Spirit. 😊
- When we’re wrong, we should ask for forgiveness.
- “You’re right, and I’m wrong. Please forgive me.”
Revelation 7:9 NIV
9 After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.
- We don’t have to give up our racial and cultural distinctions to have unity.
- We find unity when we all agree on what’s most important!
John 13:34-35 MSG
34 "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. 35 This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples — when they see the love you have for each other."