Walking by the Spirit
Brady Boyd | September 26, 2021
- Run hard, bear to the left, and get back as soon as you can.
- Don’t catch the javelin.
I could train them, instruct them, and encourage them, but once the race started, they had to run the race.
Galatians 5:7-8 NIV
7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you.”
We’re called to run a good race.
We can be distracted from our mission.
We can be deceived.
- Throughout Scripture, an enemy is present.
- Sometimes, it was an evil person or warring nation, Satan himself or one of his demons.
- Regardless, it’s clear that we will have opposition to anything we try to do for God.
Galatians 5:16-17 NIV
16 “So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
- Walk by the Spirit.
- Our feet will take us to places our heart loves.
- We all start out at the same speed.
- We crawl, we walk and some of you run.
- Walking always precedes running. Every great runner is a great walker.
- There are seasons we run the race and it will demand all our endurance and strength.
What does it mean to walk by the Spirit?
- We welcome the Holy Spirit each day.
- We surrender control to the Holy Spirit each day.
- We pay attention to the Holy Spirit every second.
Welcome. Surrender. Pay Attention.
Hebrews 12:1 NIV
1 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
- God has called us to run a race, but first we must learn to walk by the Spirit.