Flesh and Spirit
Brady Boyd | October 10, 2021
Galatians 5:19-23 NIV
19 “The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
- The acts (works) of the flesh are obvious …
- Even unbelievers recognize there’s nothing healthy and whole about this list of behaviors.
- When people cast off all restraints, they’re inviting dark forces to wreak havoc on their souls.
- Sin makes us less human.
- These behaviors cannot become habits.
- Dissensions and factions are the sins of tribalism – separating over disputes and disparaging anyone who disagrees.
- Works of the flesh are self-focused, using others to get something for yourself.
- These behaviors are an attempt to manipulate our world.
Matthew 7:15-20 NIV
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
- “Watch out!”
- The fruits of the Spirit …
- The Holy Spirit brings life and makes us fully human.
- What we feed and water, grows.
- The fruits of the Spirit are outward focused, intent on blessing others.
- What are we producing with our words and social media posts?
- We can disagree and debate with our flesh or we can disagree and debate with the Holy Spirit.
- Our flesh will separate us from the people we’re called to reach, love, and serve.
- Imagine walking down the street and on one sidewalk were the works of the flesh and on the other were the fruits of the Spirit. Which group of people would you join?
- Jesus is desperately trying reach people and he needs us.
- Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, gentleness, self-control
- Pause, pray, and obey.