Everyday Prophets | February 28, 2021
This book offers us some of the most intense language about God’s justice - a passion to rescue his world from human evil and violence.
God’s determination to create a world where all people can flourish.
Zephaniah 1:2-3 NIV
2 “I will sweep away everything from the face of the earth,” declares the Lord. 3 “I will sweep away both man and beast; I will sweep away the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea — and the idols that cause the wicked to stumble.”
- There’s always a remnant!
Zephaniah 2:3 NIV
3 Seek the Lord, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the Lord’s anger.
Zephaniah 3:12-13 NIV
12 But I will leave within you the meek and humble. The remnant of Israel will trust in the name of the Lord.13 They will do no wrong; they will tell no lies. A deceitful tongue will not be found in their mouth. They will eat and lie down, and no one will make them afraid.
- A remnant is a band of survivors who refuse to kneel to idols.
1 Kings 19:14 NIV (Elijah)
14 He replied, “I have been very zealous for the Lord God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too.”
1 Kings 19:18 NIV
18 Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel—all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and whose mouths have not kissed him.
- A remnant is a persecuted, but humble people.
- A remnant is a worshipping people.
- Don’t let the issue in front of you keep you from worshipping the Jesus who gave all for you.
Zephaniah 3:17 NIV
17 The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you but will rejoice over you with singing.
- God sings over the remnant!
- The holy warrior joins us in a holy duet.
- God would rather shelter us than crush us.
Colossians 1:13-14 NIV
13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- No remnant finds salvation on their own.
- Jesus is the one who rescues us, redeems us and brings us into his kingdom.